Monday, June 8, 2020

Fate Is Unfoldment of the Mind: Day 29


This is the lecture I spoke on May 10, 2020:

            Last week I talked about the importance of true gratitude. I will continue to talk about how our world is created in accordance with our minds and talk about the reasons that I fell ill. Founder Rev. Masaharu Taniguchi wrote:

There is no soul on this earth who does not seek happiness, riches, and good health, but why can’t they acquire them? It is because they are facing the wrong direction. Should you think that man’s happiness consists of a certain thing, a certain status or a certain place, you are searching for happiness where it does not really exist.
Since man’s fate is as his own mind developed, it is, above all, essential that we keep our minds in harmony and peace. If we continuously affirm and visualize the perfection of the God-created world in our minds, what we do, even though in a natural and spontaneous manner, will begin to develop to realize the perfection of God’s world, and consequently bring to us happiness, prosperity and good health. (365 Golden Keys to the Summit of Fulfillment, p. 51)

            When you come to Seicho-No-Ie, you learn that your mind creates your destiny. When I was ill, it meant that my mind created the illness. My mind attracted illness in order to improve myself. You may question that my life should be the opposite of that. I got ill because of my accumulated delusory thoughts. The law of the mind created my illness. 
            Last autumn, I celebrated my 60th birthday. In Japan, this is called Kanreki. Long ago in Japan people believed that Kanreki signaled the end of the life span and was the time for rebirth. Jesus Christ said, "Truly, I tell you, unless you are born anew, you cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3: 3). Because I wanted to experience a spiritual rebirth, I created a “Practice for Spiritual Rebirth.” The practice included gratitude, repentance, purification of the mind, prayer, rituals, and writing in the Sundial Diary. I chose 20 prayers from the Recitation of the Truth, its sequel, and the Daily Prayer. I practiced, read, and prayed for over two hours a day for many, many days. I started to wonder how I would know if I had been spiritually reborn. My subconscious mind believed I had left everything up to God, but my conscious mind was obsessed with seeing the results of my practices and prayers--I wanted proof of my spiritual awakening.
            We know that true reality does not come from phenomena, but because of my illness I had forgotten that. I forgot to feel gratitude from the bottom of my heart. During my illness my wife did everything for me. She prepared special meals all the time, she read the Holy Sutras and Songs of Praise. She had to towel dry me after I bathed because I was too weak to do it myself. She helped me get dressed. Still, my focus was not gratitude but to see proof of my spiritual awakening.
            While recuperating after two weeks of illness, I got up and sat in a chair to read the Holy Sutras and Seicho-No-Ie books. In one of Rev. Taniguchi’s books, I encountered a story about a wife who was not able to forgive her husband. When she realized that her husband was a genuine and respectful person, through her spiritual awareness and gratitude, almost all of her illnesses were cured except her limp. Rev. Masaharu Taniguchi explained that when this wife was able to thank her husband from the bottom of her heart “her limp was already healed. But her conscious mind didn’t realize it and was attached to the delusion that ‘my leg hasn’t yet healed’.” (Shinko “Kanrono Hou” Kaishaku [New Edition Expounding the Nectarean Shower of Holy Doctrine] p. 243). 
            When I read this, it was a revelation that my conscious mind was attached to the physical manifestation of my spiritual rebirth. I was obsessed with the proof of spiritual rebirth for my 60th birthday wish. My practices, reading, and prayers changed my subconscious mind but my conscious mind was still attached to the physical proof. When I realized this, that delusion was destroyed. I truly regretted my behavior to everyone, especially towards my wife. During all the difficulties that she had to go through with me, I was only thinking about my spiritual rebirth. I became emotional and that night before going to bed, I thanked my wife and one by one thanked everything around me. 
            Since I was 5 years old, we moved from place to place nearly twenty times. I did not live in any home for more than 10 years. My wife has lived with me longer than my parents and siblings. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I was grateful again and thankful for everything that existed in my memory--even for the houses where I had lived. I remembered some unpleasant memories being bullied when I was young. But I looked for the positive things that came from these negative experiences and actually became grateful to all those who bullied me. I was filled with gratitude and didn’t know how I could express this gratitude. I got out of bed to write down my thoughts.
            When I was writing at the desk, I realized that I was the one who has lived with me for the longest time. I was sincerely grateful to myself for letting me live as Mario Kawakami for 60 years. I am grateful I am surrounded by great family members and friends. I was born as Mario Kawakami and I can enjoy everything around me. As I thought about these things, my heart and gratitude naturally went to my parents and my ancestors. I do not know how many years I will live, but I promised myself to live a life to be proud of and decided to fulfill my mission as Mario Kawakami.
            To be spiritually reborn does not appear in the outer world, but appears as a new way of thinking. I must be sincerely grateful to everyone and everything around me in a new way. Nothing is ordinary and everything is a manifestation of joy from God. 
            From the beginning I was the spiritual existence, but I was unaware of it. The delusion to worry only about the manifestation of my spiritual awakening in my phenomenal life had to be destroyed because of the law of the mind. I recovered my health and will live my life with true gratitude to fulfill my mission. I will never forget this experience. Thank you for all things in the world, and my renewed determination to continue contributing to the movement to realize the great harmony of God, nature, and human beings. Thank you very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment