Tuesday, June 9, 2020

When I move to New York, a police officer helped me: Day 30


When I moved to New York in January 2013, my two daughters joined me in February. My wife and my oldest daughter stayed in California until June. When we arrived at home at night from JFK, one of my daughters immediately needed something from a drugstore. I didn't have a car yet and didn't know where the drugstore was. My internet still didn't work at that time. So I went out to find a store by walking at around 8 pm. It was a frozen temperature, so it was very cold. And it was very dark on the street because the place where I live is in a village. I walked around but couldn't' find it and no one was on the street. Then, I found a police car parked in the small shopping market. I knocked on the window and asked the police officer where the drugstore was. He was watching me very suspicious, but I explained I had just moved from California. He was silently listening to me. When I finished talking he explained where the store was. I couldn't understand the place soon because I was a stranger here. I asked him three times and thanked him and then left. After a few minutes, he chased me by the police car and drove me to the nearest CVS. It took about 6 or 7 minutes. I was very grateful to him and thanked him sincerely. When I finished shopping and went out of the store, the police officer was waiting for me and drove me back to the house. He said it was cold and I might lose the way back home. I never forget his kindness. I don't know he could take me to the store if he was not a police officer. If he was not a police officer, first of all, he would not be in the dark parking lot. I think he did this kindness not because of his job but because of his decent personality and, at the same time, I think he helped me because he was the police officer and he wanted to help a person who was in trouble. What I want to say is there is no bad police officer. Not only police officers but bad persons do not exist. Those whom we can see bad are people who insist on their own policy, principles, and/or beliefs. These people do not have flexibility. We have to educate ourselves and need to learn how to let our attachment and ego go. To practice love is the most important thing we need to accomplish. I am grateful to that particular police officer who didn't know me at all. Because of him, my family was able to stay overnight safely. What police officers need is proper education and strong faith to do the right thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment